To me choosing healthier alternatives is a more realistic goal than cutting out pasta altogether. That’s why I started the “Cheat On Your Pasta” series that combines both traditional carb heavy pasta with spiral sliced vegetable noodles for a lighter, healthier meal option.
If you peel the dark skin off of the zucchini before you spiralize it, you won’t even notice that it’s there. Just be sure not to over cook the zucchini because it will turn to water. The zucchini noodles (aka zoodles) have such a mild flavor and delicate texture that they virtually disappear into the pasta, in fact you probably won’t even know it’s there.. and it’s a great way to get your kids to eat their veggies!
Can you spot the zucchini noodles in the picture above? I made this one really easy because I left a bit of the green flesh on so that it would show up in the picture.
- 1 Large Zucchini Spiral Sliced
- 2 pkg Smoked Salmon
- 1/2 cup Fresh Spring Peas
- 1 tbsp Capers
- 1 tsp Fresh Lemon Zest
- 15 sprigs Fresh Dill (chopped)
- 1 tub Cream Cheese (250g)
- 1/2 cup Half & Half Cream
- Cook your linguini in boiling water until the noodles are al dente, this part takes longer than anything else to do. This recipe comes together really quickly.
- Spiralize your zucchini into noodles with a Spiral Vegetable Slicer. While you are spiralizing the zucchini periodically break off the strands to make the veggie noodles more manageable to toss and easier to eat.
- Add the peas to the boiling water with the linguini noodles.
- Melt the cream cheese and cream in a large frying pan or wok.
- Drain the linguini and peas then toss in the spiral sliced zucchini noodles and mix them all together. The heat from the linguini will cook the zoodles.
- Add the capers, lemon zest and smoked salmon in strips to the cream cheese sauce.
- Add the linguini, zoodles and peas to the pan with the cream cheese. Sprinkle with the fresh dill (reserve some for garnish) and toss everything together.
- Transfer to a serving dish and sprinkle with the remaining dill.
- Serve and enjoy!
If you want your zucchini noodles to disappear into the dish than peel the dark green skin off of the zucchini before you Spiral Slice it