Although spiral sliced veggies are perfect for a low-carb, low-calorie diet they can also be used to beautify classic recipes like this rich, creamy Zucchini, Mushroom and Sausage Quiche. I used the spiralized zucchini to create a beautiful circular pattern on top of the quiche, spiralizers can do soooo much more than just make zoodles!
And, I love quiches, they are a super simple, quick and easy meal to make on the fly. You can make a quiche with whatever veggies or meat you have, plus, eggs, cream and pie shells and I always seem to have those in my fridge (or freezer. This is a great basic recipe that can be used with pretty much any filling, so give it a try and share some pics with us and we’ll post them on our pinterst boards. Of course I would love to see your spiralized veggie creations, but don’t let that stop you from sharing.
Spiral Sliced Zucchini, Mushroom, Sausage and Aged White Cheddar Quiche
- 2 Tenderflake Deep Dish Pie Shells
- 1 Fresh Spiral Sliced Zucchini
- 1 Pkg Mushrooms Sliced
- 4 Sausages (we used a mild Bratwurst and it was delish)
- 1 cup shredded Aged White Cheddar Cheese
- 1 cup Half & Half Cream
- 4 eggs
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees and place both frozen pie shells on top of a cookie sheet (to catch any drippings)
- Place a pat of butter in a warm frying pan then lay your mushrooms on top and leave them cook until they brown. Don’t crowd your mushrooms and cook them slowly on medium. Turn once they start to brown on the first side.
- Once the mushrooms are cooked add the raw sausage to the pan by removing it from the casing and breaking it into small pieces. Cook the sausage completely.
- Add the sausage and mushroom combination to the pie shell and spread it across the bottom evenly.
- Cover the sausage and mushroom mixture with a sprinkling of cheese.
- Then using your Spiral Veggie Slicer create one long strand of zucchini noodles while turning the quiche below in a counter-clockwise direction. Moving the quiche below will help you lay the noodles in a more uniform pattern. (see picture below). Sprinkle zucchini with salt and pepper
- Whisk together the eggs and cream then pour gently over the spiralized zucchini and remaining ingredients below until the pie shell is almost filled to the top.
- Place them in the oven and DON’T open the door till the top of the quiche is golden brown and the center has risen. If you open the door too soon they could fall. Once you remove the quiches let them cool for a couple of minutes before you cut it into 6-8 pie shaped wedges.
- Serve with a tasty salad and enjoy!